Popup

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Nutrition...Embracing the Alchemy of My Body

Honey Mustard Zoodles
Today marks 1 month on my journey of "Embracing the Alchemy of my Body".  In my original post I shared my life journey in finding balance within my body and asked you to be my witness.  I also said I would share more in depth what I learn on my journey pertaining to preventing Type II Diabetes. In that post I shared I was diagnosed as a Pre-Diabetic on April 3rd.  Though I've tried every diet out there, I've been struggling with my weight for over 10 years and so on April 12th, I started my journey of incorporating 4 components which I believe lead to a healthier lifestyle.

The 4 components we visited included...


Nutrition, Exercise, Stress and Essential oils.  I always read that as with everything new, whether it's incorporating a new Spiritual Practice, breaking a old habit or in this case incorporating new healthy habits...persistence, consistence and making gradual small changes leading up to the bigger ones is the way to go for a successful outcome.  My nature is to go full steam ahead...I'm an all or nothing kind of girl.  I mean I go big, which unfortunately, at times that is too my detriment.  So, taking smaller steps is new and different for me...and so far it's worked.



Today completes my first month on my journey...


I know one month isn't much time...I know some say it only take 21 days to break a habit and longer to incorporate a good one.  Others think it's all hogwash and it varies on the individual. So, I've decided to check in every month to month in a half and explore each of the four Components I discussed in my original post and above. I feel it will also keep me accountable...cos' I've been down this road a number of times, plateaus will occur, bad choices will be made, setbacks are inevitable, frustration will arise...been there, done that, I've chosen not to beat myself up about it though...to just be present to the journey and enjoy it as much as I anticipate enjoying my achievement of a healthy vibrant life.

So checking in...


so far, I've lost 12 lbs...woohoo, celebrate the little things in life too, remember! I failed to take my measurement to see how that changed; but I plan on doing so from today on.  Overall health...I feel good, well better than good, the monthly IBS I suffer from wasn't as intense this past month.  I don't feel deprived, I actually feel satisfied. I feel challenged though, in making time to keep a consistent exercise routine going, as well as a meditation practice and in keeping up with lowering my stress in general.  I do feel very supported though, by the Essential Oils I've been incorporating, the Apps I've been using and from my amazing hubby.

As far as Apps go...



I tried a few of them, the ones I like the best are...My Fitness Pal, which tracks all my calories in and out.  Yes...it's tedious, oh so tedious...but a tool I needed and have learned a lot from. Breeze a pedometer walk tracker, which I have going in the background it encourages me to get 10,000 steps a day...I like that they give you a Spirit Animal whose activity level you match.  I started with this App at the beginning of the year, I've been a Koala Bear, Lion, Fox and now a Platypus, LOL, due to my long late night activities, which seems to be the only time I can fit it in.  WalkMeter which I use to track my walks, cycling and treadclimber activities.


Nutrition has been the most easiest to incorporate...


Apple Tuna Salad

Mostly because for the most part, I have been conscious of my choices these past years, as I battled my weight.  On average, I lean towards vegetarian meals, with some chicken and fish but I do have a family to feed too.  That's when the struggle comes in, when I feel the pressure of having to make a separate meal for myself...as my kiddos aren't as keen on vegetarian meals as I am.  So, I decided to incorporate more veggies into my breakfast and my lunch and when it comes to dinners, to make sure I have a good serving of veggies as well.


In doing so I introduced a new tool to my kitchen...


Jicama Asian Salad


a Spiralizer, not the original, but an affordable model that seems to do the job.  That's opened up a new world for me.  I've been eating new veggies like Jicama.  It's helped me eat more veggies in salads, as well as in breakfast dishes. And it's fun to play with.  Ali the Inspiralized blogger has great recipes to try.  I first was introduce to this gadget 2 years ago at a women's art gathering and I thought it was cool then.  Now it's become my best used kitchen tool ever!



What have I learned about my Nutrition so far...


portion size is the biggest...I'm not one to eat til I'm stuffed, I have become aware of the serving sizes in packages of cereals, crackers etc.  But when it comes to dinners...I've never really been one to pay attention to servings.  But now, I make sure my plate is mostly veggies, then grains and then proteins.  Like I said, I've done so many diets that I got tired of reading...eat this, not that and the thousands of reasons why.  I'm approaching my nutrition with common sense...eating as close to the earth as possible.  Most of the times my veggies are raw or lightly sautéed in a little olive oil or coconut oil.  I incorporate fresh fruit as well.  I love spices and herbs so they are a sure choice with every meal.  I know my weakness is bread...so I have cut it back a lot...but not completely eliminated it from my diet.  I have almost eliminated white sugar from my diet though...I stopped using sugar in teas and such years ago, in the past the only time I ate it was if it was in sauces, dressings, and of course cookies etc.  I now make my own dressing and sauces, so, I know it doesn't consist of any white sugar.  As for cookies...I don't eat much of those but I got this great recipe from my mentor and friend for Banana Oatmeal cookies that consist of no flour or sugar!

What are you Hungry For?...


What Are You Hungry For?: The Chopra Solution to Permanent Weight Loss, Well-Being, and Lightness of Soul by Deepak Chopra as been a really good read, I totally recommend it for anyone who is wanting to choose a healthier lifestyle.  He shares about the Ayurvedic system.  Something that I already incorporate in my Yoga practice.  Among some other really good information, he shares how to engage all our senses when we eat...to find pleasure in it...something that I realized I don't do.  Despite my love of cooking...I've found myself eating in front of my computer or doing something else rather than being mindful of the food in front of me.

I've realized savoring the flavors by incorporating new and different spices and herbs, juicing up the presentation by choosing the colors of the rainbow and by being mindful of every bite, I am enjoying my journey much more than I thought I would.  After the many diets I've been on, I didn't want to go down the road of feeling deprived. So far, I haven't felt that way and yet have been able to shed my first 12lbs.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are on a perfect journey to health. I have an app on my phone that tracks my steps too, it encourages me to get out there and move! I'm definitely going to check out that book, looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these posts! I just need to put more of them into action! This is a great incentive.

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...